Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Been awhile, sorry!

Where to begin! Well, the steel cage match clearly went nowhere. And for the past three weeks I've been with Courtney...first in MD, then here in Austin.

I'm going to be quite busy for the next...forever. But, I do need to unwind, and I'm trying to explore a couple ways to involve this blog (and my semi-existent readership).

I am considering a couple things, and I'm intending to try my hand at original fiction. More on that later, I'm just throwing down the gauntlet to myself.

For now though, I'm indulging a whim to revisit some old Star Trek episodes. I'm intending to review some and keep going if I'm having fun with it. Specifically, I'm giving season 5 of Deep Space Nine a try.

Some background: my family watched Star Trek every night a new episode aired since I was born. However, around about the time my brother was born, we gave up. Naturally part of it was that my brother was born and that wound up taking a bit of time. But, my parents were getting displeased with the direction Star Trek was going. DS9 was shifting to a serial format based around a story of impending war between the Federation and another power they discovered called the Dominion. They didn't want to see a "Star Trek" show turn into a "war story," and at the time I agreed. As for the other show playing concurrently, Voyager, well that just sucked on toast.

My other beef with DS9 is that it largely aped the format of another show that was on at the same time, Babylon 5. Paramount rather callously heard JMS' pitch for B5, tossed him out, and then took the same pitch to the Star Trek producers. In fact, the existence of a Star Trek show competing for the same viewers as a brand new sci-fi show almost murdered B5 in its crib. And B5 is one of my favorite shows, so...

But, the writers and the actors had nothing to do with those shenanigans, and DS9 did take on its own identity. So I'm picking up where I left off (I know the first four seasons of the show fairly well).

Hopefully I will entertain you even if you don't know (or care) much about Star Trek. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment